Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Welcome Rituals, the Asian Way

Each culture have different ways of welcoming visitors. Different words, different gestures, different symbols.  People going extra mile to make their visitors feel at home. 


I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit different communities in Asia for work, and it feels nice to be welcomed, in whatever way is appropriate for their culture. My most memorable and favorite ones are the welcome rituals from India, Nepal, Pakistan and Indonesia. 

I have traveled 3 times to India , each time I have visited communities in remote places.  I found the people to be very hospitable.  As a sign of greeting, they apply tilak or red mark in the forehead between the brows of their visitors. Flower garlands, often made of orange marigold flowers, are also given to acknowledge and to show their happiness at receiving their guests. During my visit in one of the villages in Bihar province, I was given tons of garlands, going up to my chin that I had to ask permission if I can remove some, so that I can have a conversation with them. :)


Shower of petals..what a welcome!

How do I look with the tilak?

Tons of garlands...and wait...there's more?

A very heart warming welcome from the children.... and look at that work of art.

During one of my visits in Thatta, a Sindh province in Pakistan, I was so touched to see small children lined up the streets to greet us.  As we walked, they showered us with rose petals. I also noticed that the women, and even little girls, were fully made up. My Pakistani colleague said that it is also how they welcome visitors- by being and looking their best: wearing their best clothes, putting on their jewelries and make up. Never experienced something like this... it was...touching.


Rose petal shower....(me in orange Pakistani garb) 

In Nepalvisitors are welcomed by putting a khata (pronounced as khada)  around the neck. A khata is a traditional ceremonial scarf, presented at ceremonial occassions, symbolizing purity and compassion. During my visit in Makwanpur district, I was given a yellow-gold khata along with the invitation to stay in Makwanpur, because they said I look like a Nepali.


My khata

Visitors of West Timor in Indonesia are welcomed with Natoni.  In natoni, a group will perform a welcome dance, do a short welcome speech and put selendang (woven shawl or shoulder cloth) on the neck of the guest. It is said that it is an expression of their happiness and a form of prayer for God to protect and bless the guest and everyone in their village. During my visit to Oinlassi, a group of women performed the natoni...and I got a really nicely weaved scarf.


Welcome dance...and lovely costumes


Welcome dance...

Drums....

Musical instruments.

...and I got my lovely selendang.


Beautiful culture. Beautiful people. Priceless moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment