Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Preparing to visit the Angkor Wat

I got really excited when I found that our annual network conference (which happened in March this year) was in Siem Reap, Cambodia. That meant I will finally be able to explore another ancient temple in Asia, the most famous maybe, the Angkor Wat.

I immediately got in touch with my friends from China, Yang Min, and from Nepal, Neeta to ask if they wanted to come a day early so we can do a tour. Of course, both said yes. Later, Rekha , from our office in Australia, Ranjit , from Canada, and Hailin from China also asked to join. I also emailed 2 colleagues who are new in the Asia Region, Dracuse from Haiti and Carlos from El Salvador-- my way of welcoming them to the region. (Later, however, Neeta was unable to join because of cancelled flights.)

Three weeks before our travel, I emailed Kimrom, a tour guide who promptly responded to my queries and sent me all the information that I need. Her rate is very reasonable: USD 100 for the 8AM to 5 PM tour , and this also includes the minivan and the driver who will pick us up from and take us back to the hotel, cold water during the trip and cold towel. Payment is done at the end of the tour.  

I have arranged for the tour, including the itinerary, and informed my colleagues, who were also very excited with the tour.  


On the day of the tour, Kim Ron was there before 8AM to pick us up at Somadevi Resort. It was everybody's first time to meet Ranjit, Dracuse and Carlos and it was funny how we were trying to guess who they are, from the many people in the hotel lobby :).  But we managed. Well, not after I kept ignoring the girl in pink dress, who kept smiling at me, never thinking that she is Ranjit- and all the while thinking that Ranjit is a male. Oh, well.....
Our tour guide in action

We reached the entrance of the Angkor Archeological Park in less than 30 minutes and Kim instructed us to queue to buy our pass, show our passport, and have our photos taken. The one day pass costs USD20 (they only accept cash in US dollars, Cambodian Riel, Thai Baht and Euro).  There is also a 3 day pass (USD40) and 7 day pass (USD60), which gives you the idea how huge the Angkor complex is.
Visitor's photo is printed in the pass, which makes for a good souvenir, but it also helps the government track the visitors, in case something goes wrong. Or in case somebody did something wrong like what some foreign visitors did recently: taking nude photos in the sacred temples. They got caught, by the way.
After we got out pass, we were reminded to keep and always carry our pass, as it will be checked when we enter major temples.  
And - we were ready to explore! 

Me and my travel buddies for the day
(PS. Visitors are advised to wear sturdy shoes, as there is a lot of walking involved.  Also bring sunglasses, hat and sunblock as it can be very hot and humid)

No comments:

Post a Comment