Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Going Solo in Edinburgh

Vibrant, beautiful, historical, fun, culture, interesting, and stunning are some of the words many use to describe Edinburgh, according to surveys.  I could sum up how I see Edinburgh in one word: medieval (in a really good, nostalgic way).  And I was happy to have walked that way.  

After more than 4 hours of travel, the train finally reached Waverley Train Station, the main station serving Edinburgh. It is a big one, with 18 platforms.  I was excited to start with my solo DIY tour- but decided for a quick brunch at Costa inside the station, before heading out. 

I left the station through the Waverley Bridge Exit and was greeted by the view of the Old Town to my left, the New Town to my right and of the view of the Scott Monument, just across the bridge.  The awesome view of the Old Town and the Scott Monument  quickly transported me to the medieval period. 

I turned left to go inside the Old Town. I  walked towards Market Street, followed the road to the Museum on the Mound, walked up along N. Bank Street, and onward to St. Giles Street until I reached High Street (which is part of the Royal Mile).  And was greeted by too many umbrellas!  It was raining and tourists still poured in despite the weather! 

When the rain stopped.

After a few steps I found myself in the Parliament Square.  It is where the original Scottish parliament was.  In the center of the square is the St. Giles Cathedral.  Built in the1120s, it was formerly a Roman Catholic church turned protestant. It started to rain, and I did not bring any umbrella (despite reminders from friends), so I ran inside the cathedral.  The interior of the cathedral is exquisite! Guests are free to take a look around, but tickets are needed to be able to take photographs. 

Along the Royal Mile, Statue behind St. Giles Cathedral

Surrounding the Cathedral is the old Parliament House, built in 1642 and was used by Scottish parliament until 1707.  There is also the Signet Library, law courts the mercat cross and the statue of King Charles II.

When the rain stopped, I walked towards the Royal Mile. The Royal Mile is the main road that connects Edinburgh Castle on one end, and the Palace of Holyroodhouse on the other end.  It is said to be the oldest street in Scotland, where more than a mile long of old buildings stand.  It comprises 4 conjoined streets, including the High Street. This is where one find pubs, restaurants and shops selling souvenir items and Scottish kilts. 

Scottish Kilt on display
One of the pubs

I reached the Holyroodhouse, which was closed as the Queen was visiting and this is where the Royals stay when they visit Edinburgh.  Across the Holyroodhouse is the new Scottish Parliament.
The Holyroodhouse, from outside

I was there on a Royal Week!

Guests from inside the Holyrood house?

I walked back along the Royal Mile again, and was fascinated by the side alleys between the tall, old buildings. They call an alley, a close or a wind. A close is used for gated private property, while a wynd is a very narrow alleyway, wide enough for horse and cart.  

More old buildings in one of the alleys


I passed by some more attractions such as the Camera Obscura and the Whisky Centre before reaching the Edinburgh Castle.  I could only wish that they did not build the Esplanade at the entry way of the castle- the bleachers did ruin the view.   

View of Edinburgh Castle from Johnston Terrace street

I walked back and at the roundabout, I turned to Johnston terrace, which gives a good view of the other side of Edinburgh.  After a quick stroll, I headed back to the High Street. I traced my steps back to the Museum on the Mound, crossed the street to the Scottish National Gallery.

A signage in one of the buildings along Johnston terrace


View of the Scot Monument on the way to the Scottish National Gallery

The road led me to the new town, where I did some quick souvenir shopping along Princes St.  And before I knew it, it was time for me to go back to Waverley station to catch my 5:30 train.

Behind the Waverley station

So, what did I love most about Edinburgh?  For one it is very picturesque.  I love the slopes (Edinburgh is a hilly city) ,  I love the cobblestone pavements, I love the old buildings and the statues.  I loved the medieval feel.  I even loved the rain in Edinburgh!  I also loved the way it made me feel like I was part of the fiction books I have been reading: I imagined lining up the Royal Mile and bowing down as kings and queens pass by, I imagined watching knights during duels, I imagined seeing drunks coming out of ale taverns at night, and of course I imagined dragons flying above the city! 

Whisky everywhere!
Should have tried the Scottish ale!

Time to go home!


And yes, I am definitely coming back, as I have missed the other attractions. 6 hours is simply not enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment