Monday, August 10, 2015

All set to the USA!

For the past 5 years, I have been travelling around Asia, and three times to London. Mostly, I flew Singapore airlines. 

It was not until a year of travelling that I decided to get Krisflyer, to earn mileage.  I did not expect to travel much when I started this work, so I did not bother getting one (sayang!)
 
After 4 years or so of flying, I checked my miles and wow...I have enough for a round trip ticket to the USA! Should I go? Should I?

I got in touch with my friends in the US- they would be happy to have me for the spring break. I got in touch with my friends in Canada- they will be happy to meet in the US. It was an ultra-fast decision making process. I'm going.

I applied for a visa online. I was able to get an appointment a week after.  I gathered the supporting documents and showed up at 8 AM on the day of my interview.

At the embassy, there was no queue outside (unlike 9 years ago, when I first applied for a visa).  Inside, there is a waiting area, where visa applicants are seated, waiting for their number/names to be called (which could mean hours of waiting). We were finally called to enter the interview area- where we waited again for hours. I was seated close to a consul and I was able to listen to interviews, and witnessed many who got heartbroken when they were denied a visa (this made me nervous!). 

My name was called by a blue-eyed consul - and he asked what I will do in the US ("to see places and visit friends"), where I will stay ("with a friend"), when I plan to go ("in February or March"), what my job is ( "doing project management in an international non government organization"), and places outside the Philippines I have travelled to (" USA once, UK three times, Asian countries several times").  He then looked and said "OK your visa is approved" ("Great! Thank you."). I was happpppppy ( and didnt show it..haha!).

Less than 5 minutes-that was a fast interview.  I was out by 11 AM.  I waited for 3 hours and 55 minutes, and got interviewed for 5 minutes. No documents were asked of me (nice!). 

I received my passport with the 10 year US visa stamped on it, a week after the interview.(Yay!) I then booked my ticket with Singapore Airlines. I decided to go after the network meeting in Cambodia. And there I was...all set for the USA spring break!
P.S. I love you Singapore Airlines!


My favorite airline







No comments:

Post a Comment