Wednesday, August 26, 2015

USA Day 3-A: Red Rock Canyon, Nevada

I love road trips- and I wouldn't miss it even when I am in one of the world's biggest gaming and entertainment center.  You can imagine how excited I was to go to the Red Rock Canyon on my second day in Las Vegas.

On the way to the Red Rock Canyon

Less than an hour drive away, the Red Rock Canyon is a stark contrast to the cityscape of the Las Vegas Strip. I found myself in this part of the Mojave desert ("mountain-and-basin topography with sparse vegetation"). The scenic rock formation and cliffs in very vivid colors, in a desert landscape is very striking.  

To the visitor center


We headed to the observation deck in the visitor center- where one can have the best view of the Calico Hills.  We could not help but click our cameras away! 

At the view deck


Calico Hills from the view deck

Calico Hills from the view deck
  
The fee of USD7 per car includes the 13 mile scenic drive within the canyon. Calico Hills, a beautiful red sandstone formation, is by the entrance of the scenic drive loop.  We stopped to take pictures upclose. 






We drove onwards, and I cant help but be in awe at this beautiful landscape.It amazes me that the same rock formation would have different view, depending on your angle. 





Next  stop was the Sandstone Quarry, where many hikers were resting at the nearby parking lot. 


The next stop is the High Point Overlook, which gives a breath-taking 360 degree view of the canyon.  




And then from that point on,  everything looked the same (haha!) We did enjoy the 13 mile drive singing Tagalog songs. 



Too bad we did not have the time to do horseback riding, or biking or maybe at least trekking.  But I was driving in a beautiful car, through a beautiful scenery. What more could I ask for?




Cheers to more road trips! 



No comments:

Post a Comment