Thursday, August 6, 2015

Freebies @ Changi Airport, Singapore

Changi , my favorite airport, was not voted the best airport in the world for nothing. It is usually where I transit when I am travelling.

The last time I was there was when I was travelling last March to the US after my meeting in Siem Reap, Cambodia.  I arrived midnight of a Friday and I stayed for 6 hours at the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 2. My flight was not until the evening of Saturday- so I had almost a day in the airport. But I don't mind spending long lay overs there.

After I checked out from the hotel early morning the next day, I left my luggage at the luggage counter (I think I paid less than 3 SGD). I joined the free tour, then hang out at the airport afterwards. Few hours before I am about to go to departure gate, I got my luggage then headed to the lounge.  I paid for the lounge using the free voucher I got from the airport's transit program- the fee includes unlimited meal and drinks, and shower.  After shower, I was ready for my looong flight. It will not be an easy flight but at least I had a very comfortable lay-over at Changi.  

Gooooood morning Changi. Breakfast at O'Learry's.

Here is why this busy airport has become my favorite:

1. Free ( and Fast) Internet - Keeping in touch with your loved ones back home won't be a problem. There are many internet kiosks in all the 3 terminals of Changi.  Or if you want to use internet while relaxing in the several rest areas within the airport, you may connect your mobile or iPads through wifi.  You may ask for passwords for 2 gadgets from the customer service.

2. Free movies -  There are movie theaters both in terminal 2 and terminal 3. So...relax and watch a movie! ( I did watch Julia Robert's Eat,Pray, Love at the Terminal 2 movie theatre the last time.  Very comfortable seats! ) 

3. Free foot massage - There are kneading foot massage machines in the airport- I love it. It relaxes my feet specially before and after a long haul.   

4. Garden(s). -  This is the only airport I saw with beautiful gardens where people can hang out and take pictures for free.  My favorite is the Sunflower Garden at the rooftop of Terminal 2 (near the movie theater.). It's a good place for "plane spotting" and to have some sun.  Really nice view to watch planes as they take off. My second favorite is the Orchid Garden and Koi pond at the Level 2 Transit Area of Terminal 2. It is beautiful. The other gardens are the Enchanted Garden (which is a "light and sound" show garden), also in the same level as the orchid garden, where the Fern Garden and Koi pond is also located. Cactus Garden is in Terminal 1 while Butterfly Garden is in Terminal 3. 

The Enchanted Garden at Terminal 2


5. Free games - For those who love games, there is the Xbox Kinetic room in Terminal 2 where you can play volleyball, table tennis, bowling, or soccer, among others. There are also Xbox and Play station game consoles.  

6. Free City Tour-  For those who have more than 5 hours lay over at the airport, this can be done. I felt, however, that the preparation time ( gathering of those who want to be in the tour, clearing at the immigration and travel time) is longer than the actual tour .  But this is advisable for those who have not yet been to Singapore because the bus passes by the Singapore Flier, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Sands, Esplanade, Colonial District, China Town, and the Central Business District). There is a 15 minute stop at the Merlion for picture taking. 
The Free City Tour booth at Terminal 2

Waiting for those who are still clearing at the immigration

Singapore city view from the bus

Singapore city view from the bus

Stop over at the Merlion


7. Free skytrain to get you from one terminal to another-fast. Also, the airport is very accessible to/from the city. From the airport, you can already take the train or the bus to the city, and back.  Next time, rather than the free city tour, I think I will take the train and just explore Singapore (again) on my own. Or maybe go to Ikea (one bus ride away)..which is a good idea.

8. Toilets- lots of them!  There are clean toilets everywhere. Each toilet area has an assigned cleaner (usually an old lady) who is always there , ready to clean up. 

9. Drinking fountains. There are drinking fountains in many places too- and water is coooold. Travelers need not spend on drinking water.

10. Free SGD20 worth of voucher!- For Singapore Airlines and Silk Air passengers transiting in Singapore, a free SGD 20 voucher is given through their transit program.  You only need to show your 2 boarding passes at the counter.  I used it for the transit lounge. It can be used to purchase anything in the stores in the airport. 

The voucher

At the lounge, courtesy of Changi's transit program


Aside from the above, seats and lounges are also available everywhere in the airport.  So there is an ample place where weary travelers can rest. There are also many charging stations so you need not worry about your mobile phones and gadgets running out of battery.  

Also, unlike other airports, its design makes it easy for travelers to find their way. There are clear signages everywhere. And if you by any chance gets confused, there is always an available customer service counter where you can ask for directions.  There is also tons of free airport maps (and also map of Singapore) printed out for you which you can find everywhere in the airport. 


So..what's not to love with this airport? 



No comments:

Post a Comment